My baby boy was born on 2nd February, 2018, after 8 hours of labour and an emergency c-section surgery! Well, that's a story for another day. Today I am going to describe how we took our little bundle of joy home with us. After three days of the hospital treatment, I couldn't wait to go home.
Finally, on the 5th of February, we packed up our stuff, got our discharge summary, and geared up to go. I had planned the whole thing months in advance. I had selected my going-home outfit, my baby's going-home outfit, and had even packed up some make-up like kajal, lipstick etc. Obviously, I had not taken into account of how I would be feeling after a major surgery.
Eventually, I couldn't even bear to put on the leggings from my selected outfit, and wore only the kurti. Thankfully, there were no cuts on the sides, & it looked like a dress. (At least, I would like to think so.) Try as I might, I could not put my baby into the snow-white, angelic footie that I had selected for him. It was too hot for him, and I didn't have the strength to try any further. And the kajal and lipstick, you ask? They never saw the light of the day and were still cosily packed in my hospital bag. So, yes, I looked like a zombie. I couldn't walk properly and my belly was hurting. I couldn't even hold the baby, and my dear husband had happily taken over the honour.
We stepped into our car, and had to give up on the idea of putting our baby in the car seat, because (a) we are Indians, (b) we trust our hands more than the five point safety harness of the car seat, and (c) we didn't know how to strap it on at that point. And just before we started, we were haggled by the man in charge of the parking lot, not to pay him parking fees, which we had duly paid, but to give him money because we had a baby! And he gave a perfectly logical explanation for his demand. Apparently, he had thought that something serious, like a surgery or something had happened in the family, but it turned out to be a baby! So paisa dena toh banta hai! Naturally my c-section surgery and the birth of a baby were nothing serious!
And then we arrived home. As my luck would have it, while stepping into the elevator, I was crushed by the doors of the lift. So we walked into the house, with me sniffling and wiping my eyes, the baby wrapped up snugly in his daddy's arms, and surprise! Our family were awaiting our arrival with colourful balloons and happy cheers, welcoming the newest and cutest member of our family!
Despite all the hassles we faced, our baby's homecoming would always, always be a fond memory. It doesn't matter what dress you wear, or how you look, or if everything along the way is smooth. Ultimately, the entire family huddling together to coo at the baby with genuine smiles is what is the most precious.
Comments
Post a Comment